Sunday, February 24, 2008

Denial

(photo courtesy of Stephanie Williamson ... I'd call it "Tangled in Chill")

Simple and direct today. I watched two intense, interesting films this weekend: Michael Clayton and A Mighty Heart (unfortunate title). It's good to see American, mainstream filmmaking tackling the crises of our individual and collective souls in such sublimely-crafted projects.

Roger Ebert had this to say in reference to the tragedy of the Daniel Pearl murder, and I copy it here with a touch of defiance, because I do think it can be a serious mistake to "avoid news" and the "political."

Ebert notes: "The Americans who complain about "negative" news are the ideological cousins of those who shoot at CNN crews. The news is the news, good or bad, and those who resent being informed of it are pitiful."


4 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

I saw Michael Clayton this weekend too, and A Mighty Heart last week as well. Both heart-wrenching in their own way.

I really appreciated the way Mighty Heart was filmed and portrayed. It showed how complex the situation was (and continues to be) - and I would say that complexity is another issue that we all shouldn't complain about or dismiss.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not having seen either film yet I will comment istead on the George Clooney of horse flesh seen below...oooohh la la BABY! He's a hunk!

 
At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havent seen Michael Clayton yet - but its on my list!

Tagged

I've been tagged by a writer friend so I guess I've got to do the following meme: (I'll get you back some time Sandie!)

The 'rules' are as follows :-

1/ you link back to the person who tagged you.

2/ post these rules on your blog.

3/ share six unimportant things about yourself.

4/ tag six random people at the end of your entry.

5/ let the tagged people know by leaving a comment on their blogs.

Ciao Karina xxxx

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger nikki said...

pamela,
i am wondering if you've thought about blogging anymore??? I am trying to keep the writing fire going. Have tried starting some writing groups (in real life, not this virtual one) and it just wasn't working.

I hope you are well...
-nikki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home